Let's write the next chapter together.
The City of Springfield draws its strength from the people who have been living and working in this Western Massachusetts community on the Connecticut River for 375 years.
The city and its people have a proud and vibrant history. On the heels of a difficult downturn in the economy that threatened Springfield's once thriving downtown, the city's proud past and hearty people were challenged by another first when a tornado nearly leveled a section of Downtown Springfield in June 2011.
And while the most tragic memories of that event will never be forgotten, this is a resilient city with determined people who already have begun to set the stage for an epic comeback story.
Now, MGM is asking the people of Springfield to allow us to partner with you as you write Springfield's next exciting chapter. From Forest Park to Hungry Hill, 16 Acres to the North End, our project will be focused on bringing jobs and economic development to all Springfield residents.
We believe Springfield deserves something different than just a standard casino complex. Our multi-use plan envisions an exciting and lively residential, retail, dining, and entertainment district that preserves much of downtown's most iconic architecture while rebuilding the city's hardest-hit downtown neighborhood. MGM's renaissance project is about opening up the downtown and bringing new life, new visitors and new reasons to be proud of Springfield.
Hotel & Resort »
- 14.5 acres of land over three blocks
- Hotel - 25 floors, 250 rooms - with an entrance retaining the beautiful iconic
73 State Street facade
- Pool and Spa - 7,000 square feet
- Outdoor Garden and Roof Deck - 35,000 square feet
- Banquet and Meeting Space - 45,000 square feet
- Gaming - 125,000 square feet
- Residential - 40,000 square feet of market rate one and two bedroom rentals
- Retail - 12,000 square feet
- Restaurants - 48,000 square feet
- 3,600 space covered parking located just 200 feet off the highway
Dining, Retail, & Entertainment »
- Retail and Restaurant - 165,000 square feet
- Location - Between Union and Howard streets
- Outdoor stage for free live entertainment
- Cinema - 50,000 square feet, 12 screens
- Bowling alley - 20,000 square feet
- Casual and formal dining
- Wide variety of fashion, sporting good, and electronic retailers
Economic Development »
- Millions of additional dollars in tax revenue for Springfield
- At least 2,000 construction jobs and thousands more permanent, well-paying
resort and entertainment jobs
- Thousands of additional indirect and induced jobs
- MGM Springfield will bring thousands of new customers to both new and
established local dining, retail, and entertainment venues throughout
Downtown Springfield and beyond
You will see that we are proposing something very different than what we do at most of our resorts. There will be no indoor entertainment arena. Why do that when Springfield already has the MassMutual Center, Symphony Hall and so many other entertainment facilities? Instead, our plan calls for bringing the world-class entertainment that MGM Resorts is well known for to these facilities. It takes a village, after all, to make a vibrant destination city. And we want to be in this together with you, Springfield.
With perhaps the most immediate highway access for a project of this kind in New England, MGM Springfield is perfectly located to avoid downtown transportation nightmares. Once visitors pull off the highway and into our strategically located parking garages, those who want to experience the many historic, cultural, business, and academic draws that Springfield has to offer, will be linked to Union Station and other central locations by a trolley system.
This is just the beginning. Ours will be a very public story, Springfield. We will open the doors of our new downtown office space and invite you in. We look forward to meeting you in the coming months. We are eager to hear your thoughts on how we can all work together to write the next chapter in Springfield's comeback story. We hope that as you get to know us better, you will find our vision and our company worthy of your city.